2021 FEDERAL ELECTION – CANDIDATES
Requirements before engagement:
Open a candidate’s campaign bank account, according to requirements as set out in the Canada Elections Act, which provides the following services;
- Monthly bank statements.
- Bank statements include images of cancelled cheques (cancelled cheques are those cheques that are issued to make payment and clear your bank account).
- Online account access.
- Detailed disbursement e-transfer reports and records that identify date of transaction, amount of disbursement, payee name and payee email address for each transaction.
- Account transaction download files in *.csv format.
If using an online merchant banker (Paypal, Square, Moneris etc.) or intermediate service provider (Stripe, Nationbuilder etc.) to process and manage electronic contributions, this service must provide detailed reports identifying transactions (transaction dates; deposit, fees, transfer amounts, corrections, etc.).
Use Elections Canada EFR software to issue official receipts.
Use Elections Canada EFR software to record Electoral Campaign Expenses.
Provide to Chaplin & Co. a completed electronic copy of the EFR software database file (located on clients computer).
Provide Completed MS Excel Spreadsheets (templates provided by Chaplin & Co.) which record details of;
- Fundraising Events.
- Sign Inventory brought into (non-monetary transfer (if any)) the campaign.
- Sign Inventory remaining at the end of the campaign transferred to the EDA.
- Any pre-paid campaign expenses not invoiced to and paid for by the campaign (non-monetary transfer).
- Campaign payables.
Contribution Income details reconciled to the campaign bank account.
Organize and provide all expense documentation (invoices / purchases receipts / contracts / agreements) according to a voucher system. Generally explained, expense documentation (invoices) etc. are organized according to the order of disbursement transactions as reported on the bank statements. A voucher page, which summarizes the expense(s) that occurred on a specific date is stapled on top of all supporting expense documentation (invoices etc.).
Make and keep photocopies ( or scanned electronic files ) of all cheques deposited into the campaign bank account. For combined deposits, where more than one cheque is deposited at one time, all cheque photocopies or scanned images are grouped together.
Provide all required documentation for audit to Chaplin & Co. for audit within 40 days of polling day in order to guarantee meeting the filing deadline.
In order for Chaplin &Co. Chartered Accountants to become your campaign auditor an agreement must be signed by you. The agreement in this case is called an Engagement. If you meet and agree with the requirements noted above and would like Chaplin & Co. Chartered Accountants to become your appointed campaign auditor you will need to complete and submit the engagement request form. Chaplin & Co. Chartered Accountants will be in touch with you shortly after your submission to discuss the possibility of working as your campaign auditor.